Skip to main content

Response 1: Nice to Meet You

Who are you? Allyson Yu, freshman college student. Foodie and fashion enthusiast

Where are you from? Reading, Pa

Do you have a preferred pronoun? she/her

Tell me something about yourself? I have a "shorkie" named Benji (Yorkie and Shih Tzu).  I like hiking!

What is your major? A double major in Biology and Visual Studies

What kind of art do you like to make (share an image)?
I like to sew, draw, and upcycle clothing!

computer-drawn drawings
Embroidered tree with CD leaves Bomber Jacket 

What apps/programs on the phone or computer do you use most frequently and what for?
Snapchat and Instagram for social purposes (connect with friends, inspiration, pass time), gmail, google docs, sheets, slides, etc for school and work, camera for photos, Spotify for music and podcasts, youtube for inspiration and laughs, recently tik toks for occasionally silly study breaks

Who is one of your favorite visual artists
Andy Warhol

Who is your favorite musician (share a link)?
Queen Spotify

What do you hope to get out of this class?

I hope to learn the many uses of the adobe suite.  I have so much respect for people who can edit well and would love to learn more skills.   I applied for an internship in the public health department communications position which deals with communicating scientific knowledge through visual (in most cases) digital visual means.  This class will definitely help with this and I hope to carry these skills in my future career path.


Can you sit still for an hour? I can sit still for about 1.5 hours

What is your relationship to visual studies?
I am a freshman who just took the intro to visual studies course with Dr. Modigliani and I am starting to understand the complexity of it and how artists can really take the major in many different avenues.  I like that it encompasses a very wide scope of disciplines.

What is the relationship between computers and visual studies?  a big part of visual studies is communicating to an audience or onlooker about something bigger than oneself. Sure, handmade art achieves this, but digitally created art enhances this and is the perfect example of evolving times. It makes information and visually easier to spread and goes with a digital aesthetic that is emerging today.

What is your experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere?
I used illustrator when I completed in a fashion design team at my High school.  However, that was just me scanning my hand-drawn drawings and tracing them on a monitor with illustrator using the tracing and shading tools.
The other tools I am not very familiar with.

Have you ever created a 3D printed object?
No

Do you have a computer at home? If so does it have Photoshop and Illustrator? Mac or PC?
I do. And it has photoshop and illustrator (adobe apps from temple)  it is a PC believe.

Write a five line story. 
This break I visited my roommate in DC.  It was very cold and windy.  We decided to rent scooters.  We rode all around the surrounding neighborhood of the Georgetown area and by the water. It was beautiful until our scooters ran out of battery and we had to stop.

Post an image from your winter break


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy Smoothie Tutorial!

1) How do you feel about the overall outcome of this piece in relation to your art making process? Overall, I feel okay with the outcome.  I like the idea of peering into a microscope as the perspective, and I think I include a lot of elements of my life, but I do not feel the piece overall is cohesive.  I think there would be a different more effective way of narrating my message.  2) In what way did you integrate your personal art practice into this project?  I integrated my personal art into this piece by putting my own drawings in the paint palette and in the smoothie fabric as well as some of my fashion pieces made floating around in the fabric and spoon.  My chemistry lab notebook, as well as bacteria experiment, are also featured  3) How did you challenge yourself creatively, conceptually and/or technically  in the making of this piece?  I challenged myself creatively and conceptually by trying to showcase how at odds I am with my majors and two very different int