Skip to main content

Project 2: Vinyl Intervention and Reflection Questions


  1. In what way did you change your process to make a piece that was site-specific?
    1. I changed the shape and overall aesthetic of the mask.  Originally, I wanted to feature an Asian person's face wearing the mask, however, I did not want to be so literal and wanted viewers on the subway to use the symbol to get the message.  Additionally, when I tried making a face it did not turn out the way I was planned.  I felt the emotion part was hard to capture. I changed the shape from a fashionable Asian mask shape to a more medical-surgical mask shape in order to be read by a wider audience. 
  2. How did you challenge yourself creatively, conceptually and/or technically in the making of this piece? If you did not feel challenged is there something you would do differently if you were to do it again?
    1. I challenged myself conceptually, I feel.  Because I constantly had to be reevaluating whether my message was getting across and how people would interpret it since Coronavirus is a hot topic. The "not a diseased bitch" was something I was scared to put on, but I'm glad I used these words. I added the details on the mask and then envelope warped the text and mask a bit so it wouldn't look flat.  I do feel I could challenge myself more though, maybe create a face (maybe of myself) to make it more personal, or add more elements to make it clear it is about anti-Asian sentiments.  However, I also do like the concept of anyone being able to wear the mask since it is alone.  I think it gives a more uniting factor that helps address the xenophobia towards Asians at this time.
  3. Were there elements that made the completion of this piece either more difficult or felt not challenging enough?
    1. The most difficult element for this project was working out the interaction between the sticker and the location.  I also think with symbolism it was challenging picking and choosing what elements would convey my message simply and clearly.
  4. Reflect on the critique and consider how your experience was different from the first: was the feedback you received helpful? Be specific about why or why not.
    1. Compared to my last critique, it was such a positive to me that my installation started a conversation about the xenophobia started against Asians due to the hysteria about Coronavirus.  The feedback was constructive which I appreciated, especially the comment about "what if my friend was not pictured."  I definitely grappled with this when installing.  It made me realize how important context is, and will definitely keep this in mind for future projects.
  5. Please share any other thoughts.
    1. I always get scared to present my work at critiques and for this installation, in particular, I think there was a lot I wanted to say. I haven't been in a space that specically spoke on corona and asians.  I am passionate about the topic so I was really glad to hear the disccusion and everyone sharing information and their own insight.  I didn't share much personal information, however, I wish I did to show a stronger connection besides being profiled Asian.
    2. Overall, I really liked the idea of this project because I feel like it allowed us the room to create something for something bigger than ourselves.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response 1: Nice to Meet You

Who are you? Allyson Yu, freshman college student. Foodie and fashion enthusiast Where are you from? Reading, Pa Do you have a preferred pronoun? she/her Tell me something about yourself? I have a "shorkie" named Benji (Yorkie and Shih Tzu).  I like hiking! What is your major? A double major in Biology and Visual Studies What kind of art do you like to make (share an image)? I like to sew, draw, and upcycle clothing! computer-drawn drawings Embroidered tree with CD leaves Bomber Jacket  What apps/programs on the phone or computer do you use most frequently and what for? Snapchat and Instagram for social purposes (connect with friends, inspiration, pass time), gmail, google docs, sheets, slides, etc for school and work, camera for photos, Spotify for music and podcasts, youtube for inspiration and laughs, recently tik toks for occasionally silly study breaks Who is one of your favorite visual artists Andy Warhol Who is your favorite musician (share

Healthy Smoothie Tutorial!

1) How do you feel about the overall outcome of this piece in relation to your art making process? Overall, I feel okay with the outcome.  I like the idea of peering into a microscope as the perspective, and I think I include a lot of elements of my life, but I do not feel the piece overall is cohesive.  I think there would be a different more effective way of narrating my message.  2) In what way did you integrate your personal art practice into this project?  I integrated my personal art into this piece by putting my own drawings in the paint palette and in the smoothie fabric as well as some of my fashion pieces made floating around in the fabric and spoon.  My chemistry lab notebook, as well as bacteria experiment, are also featured  3) How did you challenge yourself creatively, conceptually and/or technically  in the making of this piece?  I challenged myself creatively and conceptually by trying to showcase how at odds I am with my majors and two very different int